10 Things to Do Before Your Long-distance Move
When you change cities, it’s hard to keep track of all things you need to do in advance. At Burgess Transfer, we’re happy to lend a hand by listing some of the essential tasks you need to start doing in the months leading up to your move.
First and foremost, we recommend that you draw up a detailed schedule for managing your time. Allocate separate tasks to separate days so you don’t feel overwhelmed.
Here are some things to put on your schedule:
- Decide what belongings you want to sell or donate. If you’re selling items, you’ll want to start doing so months in advance to ensure that you find buyers in time.
- Begin packing things you won’t need in the time leading up to your move. Organize your packing so unpacking will be less of a chore. Categorizing boxes by room is a good strategy. You might also consider having one or more boxes filled with the items you’ll want to access first. Make sure you label all your boxes clearly and indicate which ones contain fragile items.
- Start putting aside items that you’ll keep with you during the move. This might include birth certificates, passports and valuable jewellery.
- Contact your utility providers to cancel your services. If applicable, coordinate with the landlord or new owner to ensure continuity of service.
- Contact your service provider for your phone, internet, cable and any other home services you use. Unless you’re cancelling a service, discuss with the provider how to transfer it to your new home. If applicable, shop for new service providers in the region you’re moving to.
- Contact your health-care providers (doctors, dentists and so forth) and obtain all necessary documents from them.
- See what changes, if any, you need to make to your bank account. You may decide to transfer your bank account to a branch nearer to your new location. And if you’re moving to a place where your bank has few or no branches, you may decide to change banks.
- Make sure you have everything you need in order to transfer medical documents, schooling records and personal insurance records.
- Fill out change-of-address forms for any mail you receive.
- If you need to make travel accommodations for your trip, make reservations in advance.
Long Distance Movers in Halifax
If you’re looking for a reliable moving company in Halifax or Dartmouth, Burgess Transfer is your best bet. Whether it’s a cross-country move, a move to the U.S. or an international move, you can count on us to make sure it goes smoothly. Contact us today!